Saturday, September 15, 2007

Just when they were getting excited about reading...

We're going to start reading Beowulf on Monday in class. We're reading the version by Robert Nye, which is basically the Dick-and-Jane version of Beowulf. See Hrothgar. Hrothgar is mad. Grendel ate his friends. Mad Hrothgar, mad. See Beowulf. Beowulf is tough. Kill, Beowulf, kill.

You get the point. Anyway, I have been leading up to this, telling the kids that we will start reading it on Monday. Yesterday in class (actually, in two separate classes), I had kids chomping at the bit, wondering when we could start reading "Bio-Wolf." You know, the story about the robotic wolf.

When I told them the story was about a guy named Beowulf, they were crestfallen. A story about a dude with a funny name? Boring. A story about a robotic wolf? Much cooler.

2 comments:

Matt Purmort said...

Wow, I didn't read Beowulf till my senior year in high school!! Y'all like super smrt or sumthan.

Anonymous said...

I ultimately gave up with one group of seniors and just forced them to sit through The 13th Warrior. HAHAHAHAHAH