Sunday, February 12, 2006

Reality Blogging

Yeah, I don't really know what the title of this post indicates, insofar as I'm not going to try to imitate reality TV or anything, but I'm going to deviate from my normal pattern of disdaining dumb celebrities, people who nestle beverages in their cleavage, Barbie, and boozy bridal consultants to tell you, my wonderful internet audience, about my wonderful weekend!

My wonderful fiancé Nolan came to North Carolina to see me this weekend, and we had a great time together. Let me tell you, Internet, being 10 hours away from the man you love is NO GOOD! NO GOOD, I tell you!!! Luckily, though, Nolan took some time out of his schedule to make the journey to Winston Salem. On Thursday night, he got to meet some of my fellow grad students when we all went out to dinner in downtown Winston Salem at a place called Sweet Potatoes. I was so glad to show off my excellent taste in finacés to my friends up here! We had a great time together, and it was just so nice to have him here as a part of my somewhat isolated existence as a grad student.

On Friday night, we went to dinner at a place called The Vineyard, which is in the historic Reynolda Village. According to this website, The Vineyards (built in 1912) is the former site of the original boiler room for the Reynolda Family Estate. All of the outbuildings and the house itself were powered by coal. Several coal chutes still exist in the back rooms of the restaurant. In addition, what is now The Vineyards' wine cellar formerly housed the underground access for all utilities, power cables, and lines. It was absolutely wonderful to go on a date with Nolan, to experience a fine restaurant and delicious food, and to just be together!

Having to say good-bye on Saturday was pretty awful, but there are fewer than 19 weeks between us and our wedding, so the light at the end of the long-distance tunnel is very bright. Still, being apart sucks. I mean, if I have to condense my feelings into a concise statement...

So, there's some info about my weekend. Now I'm getting back to work, proofreading manuscripts for professors and working on my thesis. Well, maybe not immediately back to work, seeing how I'm blogging and all...but that's beside the point. Hey, at least I'm writing something, right? And so, I leave you with some eye candy....also known as a picture of Nolan and me. Because I'm feeling all goopy and romantic like that.
My caption for this picture? Susanna smiles to hide the fact that she secretly fears she is playing WAY out of her league.

1 comment:

gmw said...

You two are so cute. my buddy Nolan has the "hold it together and look confident while I'm leaping up and down inside" look.