Saturday, March 03, 2007

Subtle differences

Last week, I started taking spinning classes (exercise classes on a stationary bike) at the not-so-local YMCA in an attempt to shrink my butt down to a size that doesn't require me registering it for its own zip code. While taking the classes, I noticed a couple of slight differences in the way they were taught, depending on whether the instructor was a man or a woman.

If the instructor is a woman, the crowd that takes the class is made up of men and women of various ages (from 18 to 50 or so), and these people generally wear T-shirts and sweatpants or shorts. If the instructor is a man (this particular instructor was 30ish and apparently single), the crowd that takes the class is made up of young women (ages 20 to 35) who wear makeup, hoop earrings, and underwear as workout wear. Seriously. I think two of the girls in this class had on bathing suits.

The other difference I noticed is in the "encouragement" the instructor offers during the class. The people in these classes need encouragement because the classes last about an hour, and during this hour you will have thoughts ranging from "My legs feel kind of weak" to "Let me die now." To keep you going, the female instructor will often say things like "Keep it up! Burn those calories!" or "Work those legs! You're doing great!". The 30-something male instructor, on the other hand, offered these encouraging words:

"We're going to climb this hill until somebody in here faints or pukes."

5 comments:

gmw said...

Thanks for this insightful parsing of the differences between men and women. Truly shedding light on a mysterious place.

Anonymous said...

Hoop earrings. Might as well be targets.

David Ching said...

so where's this class taking place? Watching girls in bathing suits riding exercise bikes might be just the motivation I need.

Susanna said...

David,
My advice would be to find out who teaches the spinning classes at your very own neighborhood gym. Find the classes taught by young, 20 or 30-somethingish men. The scantily clad women will be there. Kind of like Field of Dreams, only skankier.

David Ching said...

so these bathing suit-wearing bike riders are ghosts, too? I think I can still get into that. sounds kinda kinky.