Saturday, March 15, 2008

Why I have to find a new job: Reason 5,794

Some friends of ours came to visit last week. On the second night of their stay, I was in the kitchen, working on dinner, when I looked across the kitchen island to see Ann sitting on the sofa, working on her computer, and chewing gum. I barely had time to choke back the words that threatened to spill from my lips: "Spit out your gum!" When she saw the look of horror on my face, Ann had to ask me what was wrong. I felt obligated to tell her.

As if living in Texas wasn't reason enough for people to not visit, now I add my crotchety teacher anal-retentiveness to the mix. I'm like social cyanide.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I correct my dad's grammar over the phone. He hates me.

Leslie said...

Yeah, unfortunately, some of that teacher instinct stays with you longer after actually teaching. I still have to stop myself getting onto kids in the grocery store for smart-mouthing people or being disrespectful. I have scars on my tongue from biting it so often.