Saturday, April 05, 2008

Just another typical day in my life

Last night, wonder husband and I went to see a musical called The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. This show won several Tony Awards back in 2005, and it is hysterically funny. Think Waiting for Guffman or Best in Show-type mockumentary humor, with pre-pubescent/goofy/phlegmy/shy/awkward spelling bee nerds. A recipe for success, that.

As we were waiting for the show to begin, we noticed a bit of commotion going on behind us. When we turned around, we saw several Secret Service agents escorting none other than George H.W. Bush and Barbara to their seats (about 8 to 10 rows behind us). And why not? I mean, they seem like the kind of folks who might enjoy a night out at the theatre. (Wonder husband convinced me that it wasn't the best idea to approach the former president and ask him if he liked the Comedy Central show "Lil' Bush.")

I don't have any great insights into the comedy tastes of the 41st President, but I could guess that he (a) probably wasn't a fan of "Lil' Bush" and (b) he may have been slightly uncomfortable and/or confused during the show, when an eliminated Spelling Bee contestant sang a song entitled "My Unfortunate Erection."

Me? I think it's pure comedy GOLD.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now, Babs, on the other hand, has a reportedly good sense of humor. She wrote some fairly funny letters back and forth with Matt Groening (of The Simpsons) about Marge's character. I bet she was LOLing at the Erection song.