Sunday, September 10, 2006

Go Team!

I love football season. Love. It. College football is where my true loyalties are, but I'll watch NFL games, too. Four days a week, baby - football on TV. Add in highlights on SportsCenter and ESPN.com's College Football pages, and I'm a happy, happy girl. So, in honor of football season, I'm sharing my now-not-so-secret plan for recruiting a college team of my own one day. Here it is: I don't care what kind of player you were or are, as long as your name is crappy. Not "crappy" like a bad name...literally, "Crappy." As in, "You've made the team, Mr. Crappy." Here's who would be on my team (so far) this year:
  • John David Booty
  • Chris Smelley
  • Ryan Succop
  • Adam Licker
  • Quinn Pitcock
  • Marlon Favorite
  • Mychal Belcher
  • Rashaad Goodrum
  • Nic Redwine

As you can see, I have a pretty good start. However, 9 men does not a football team make. So I'm open to suggestions for more recruits. Only requirement is that they have to be actual college football players. No fake-outs...because anyone can make up a last name like "Butts." But "Goodrum" and "Redwine"? They're funny because they're true...

Oh, we're also in need of a mascot. And nothing dumb like a "Hilltopper," because, really,what the heck is that anyway? It looks like a big happy pimple with arms and legs.

13 comments:

Leslie said...

Dude, I MUST have some role in a football team THIS awesome!!! :-D

I have to say I went to an LSU football game yesterday (and you know my loyalties are with the Tide), but just being in SEC Football atmosphere made me SOOOO HAPPY!!! It made me want to speed back to Tuscaloosa and stay there!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Susanna and Nolan!

I share your football enthusiasm (Go B.C!!!) and have always thought Emerson Boozer had one of the best names (goes nicely with Messrs. Redwine and Goodrum, don't you think?) He played in the '60s at Maryland State and then in the pros. I am sure I will come up with others.

This is fun. Can you tell I have lots of time on my hands, now that I am "retired"?

Anonymous said...

Georgia used to have a QB named Mike Bobo.

Miss. St. had a defensive lineman named Pork Chop Womack.

Aaron said...

Susannah,

Two things:
1) When my family returns to Johnson City, we will once again become supporters of the Science Hill High School "Hilltoppers" (yes, it's the high school that gave the world the genius of Steve Spurrier, Heisman Trophy winner, coach of the 1996 National Champion Florida Gators!).
2) May I add U.Tennessee player, Jim Bob Cooter to the all name team?

Brian said...

I'm glad that the team already has a couple of quarterbacks. If we had to add Auburn's QB to the list, this would no longer be a family friendly blog.

Laura said...

I remember a guy who played for Florida State named Craphonzo Thorpe. He was a wide receiver.

Brian said...

Laura, that was excellent!

Aaron said...

Susanna,

Sorry I put an "H" in your name when I left you a message. I don't know what came over me!

Blessings,

Aahron

Anonymous said...

a couple of old bulldogs said...

there was a guy who played linebacker at UGA in the late 60's named Happy Dicks. He is now a prominent brain surgeon in Athens. He certainly has a name that might be wothy of consideration for this team.

Laura said...

Does Dick Butkus count, or is that too obvious?

Also, I have to ask, what is not to love about the Hilltopper? He was at an academic tournament I was in when I was in high school. I'm not kidding. The final match was broadcast on the radio in Bowling Green and the Hilltopper was there. Hilarious.

Susanna said...

Keep the comments coming! And no name can be "too obvious" on this team! I'll post an updated team roster very soon...

Susanna said...

Here's the latest roster:

John David Booty
Chris Smelley
Ryan Succop
Adam Licker
Quinn Pitcock
Marlon Favorite
Mychal Belcher
Rashaad Goodrum
Nic Redwine
Emerson Boozer
Jim Bob Cooter
Craphonzo Thorpe
Dick Butkus

And, c'mon, Brian. Who ever said this was a "family friendly" blog?

Brian said...

Okay, fine. We need to add another kicker to the list. So, I think that former Alabama player Jeremy "Blue Flamin'" Schatz should make the roster.