Sunday, July 15, 2007

Holiday fun. Explosive holiday fun.

On the Fourth of July, a friend and I went to get some fireworks. Nothing fancy: just the basic Roman Candles and sparklers. When the guy behind the counter brought us our sparklers, he shook his head sadly and said, "Ya know, they're outlawin' these by the first of next year."

I looked at him skeptically and asked, "Really? Why?"

He gave me a grave look and said, "Well, kids have figgerd out how ta blow stuff up with 'em."

I didn't want to confuse him by pointing out that he was currently peddling all sorts of items that could blow stuff up with much less effort, and that sparklers, comparatively speaking, didn't seem to pose a real threat. Then again, what kind of logic do I expect from the state that gave us George W. Bush?

6 comments:

Seven Layers said...

Suzanna,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop of your life. Definately, the best blog I'll ever read.

Scott

gmw said...

"Then again, what kind of logic do I expect from the state that gave us George W. Bush?"

Ok, yeah... but tell me honestly, you sure that guy's cousin isn't saying the same thing at a fireworks stand in south Alabama right now?

Omar said...

well hey... i'm now living in the state that gave us Bill Clinton! Woo-pig...

Anonymous said...

Isn't "Blowing Stuff Up" a required extracurricular sport for school children in Texas? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere...

Anonymous said...

A kid in our neighborhood set his house on fire playing with sparklers and some Axe body spray. A bad combination. In addition, and I am not making this up, one of my students had her eye shot out by a Roman candle. Who shot off this Roman candle? Her mother.

Anonymous said...

By the way, that was me, Laura. :)