Thursday, January 24, 2008

Proof that Junior High students should be sent to a deserted island and left to fend for themselves...

I hesitated to post this, for reasons that will be obvious to anyone with a soul once they have finished reading it. I decided to post it because, even after a week, I'm still shaking my head in disbelief, and I felt that I should share it with you, Internet. Especially those of you who may be contemplating teaching junior high.

Last week, I showed my students the Biography Channel special on Anne Frank. Early in the video, one woman gives a testimonial about how Anne always felt jealous of Margot, her older sister. The woman says, "Margot was perfect. She was smart, quiet, pretty, and a good student." While she is saying this, an old black-and-white photo of Anne and Margot on the beach fades in.

In my last class of the day, one boy turns to another and says, "Dude, would you hit that?"

3 comments:

Libby said...

Hi, I came here via Musings of a Working Diva and I just wanted to tell you how much I'm loving your posts. I'm married to a high school history teacher and it's always a hoot to hear his stories from the trenches.

Anonymous said...

Um, did the other kid reply affirmatively? Because I think that would probably guarantee a sunny spot in hell.

Susanna said...

Fortunately, I did not hear the reply of the other kid.

But GOD did.