Those are some of the real answers from the WWII/Anne Frank fill-in-the blank test I gave last week. They had a word bank. AND they could use their notes. Go ahead. Fear for our future.
You may be wondering why I entitled this post "Captain Obvious." Am I being ironic? Have I finally lost touch with reality? Well, maybe...
But really, this is the story that fits with the title. As we've been finishing the play in class, I've answered the resounding question "When are we going to watch the movie, Miss?" about, oh, eleventy bajillion times. And my reply was always, "We'll watch the movie as soon as we finish reading the play. We'll watch it on Friday."
So, it's Friday, and I've got the TV set up in my room, and the movie cover set up against the blackboard, and I SWEAR I had kids in EVERY damn class come in and ask me, "Ooooh, Miss, what are we watching?" (I just completely ignore the ones who come in and ask if we're watching something today.) By third period, I began responding with less eye-rolling and more...oh, I guess you might call it lying. Here's an example of an exchange I had at least 15 times today:
Kid (coming in and seeing the television): Oooh, Miss, a TV!What are we watching today?
Me: The Land Before Time. It's about dinosaurs.
Kid: Cool!

7 comments:
Oh God, what I wouldn't give to be back in Grade 8 all over again!
Instead, here at university, the nicest professor of the semester have decided to give us (students) a probability and statistics midterm as a heartwarming Valentine's Day gift!
I admit with great embarrassment, that as a 20-year-old, I've never heard of "The Diary of Anne Frank" either! Your post inspired me to go search it up, and so thanks to you I now know. :)
Several years back, as part of the Grade 11 curriculum, my classmates and I studied the novel "Silent Night" by Elie Wiesel. And, the most profound message delivered by the writing was that the holocaust stripped away the humanity from both the victim and the victimiser.
Very much like you, our English teacher, Ms. Williams, showed us a movie at the end of the unit. We watched "Schindler's List". It was a great movie, and we didn't bug the teacher! :)
Anyways, have fun teaching! (You know students, down the road they'll thank you!) God bless.
First of all, it's "Night" by Elie Weisel. Not "Silent Night." That's a Christmas Song. NOT about Jews. At all.
TVs are like crack. I can't show them clips from "London: A Pictoral History Narrated by Dudley Moore" without kids begging to sit in on the class.
the sass master,
High school must have been a really long time ago. (& I major in software development.) :) Yes, indeed the novel is titled "Night". I apologize to English teachers everywhere. Although, I could "swear" that everyone in the class was referring to it as "Silent" Night that year. The "Silent" metaphorically representing how (in many ways) the Jews were repressed, as our teacher made us write about in our essays.
Yes, indeed "Silent Night" is a Christmas carol, but also a book authored by Sarah Jeffers.
Hope you're not offended or anything. The tone of your writing does seem a bit upset.
Dearest Anonymous,
My tone is probably always upset. I teach illiterate rednecks so thus I'm usually on edge. Nothing personal! Hell, I'm glad you liked/remembered any book at all from high school!
:)
Sass (the generally irate)
(Teacher) Sass,
You have one of the most IMPORTANT, if not *the most* exhausting job in this world.
You have my respect. Please take care.
Anonymous student.
Hottie,
You just make me laugh. I should probably cry but the way to tell stories is too funny. You do realize that every friday they are going to expect you to show them a movie. I can hear it now "Miss, are we watching a movie today?"
Post a Comment