Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Wake Forest is Number 27!

Wow, this is such a relief. U.S. News and World Report has ranked Wake Forest 27th out of 248 national universities considered in its annual "America's Best Colleges" issue. Now my second degree in English doesn't seem so pointless! Wait an minute. Yes, it does. Still pointless. But I do love it when people try to convince us otherwise. My favorite line might be "The versatility of the degree, in fact, is what makes the post-graduation job hunt so hard." Give me a break. What makes the job hunt so hard is that you've spent the past however many years learning how not to relate to "normal" people, and now, in "the real world," you discover that people aren't impressed when you can recite the prologue to The Canterbury Tales in middle English, and they don't give any signs of recognition when you drop the names "Pynchon" or "Rushdie." Employers don't give a crap about the essay you wrote on Escaping the Confines of Location and Narration in Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, and they don't care about your thesis, and they certainly don't care about poetry. And they mostly look at you strangely when you say that you, in fact, do. Care about poetry, that is.

So, why am I doing this? Besides the fact that I seem to be a glutton for punishment? :) Well, besides the fact that learning is just plain exciting (yes, Dawn, I just swiped my nerd card), just take a look at that quote from Dead Poet's Society gracing the top of my blog. That just about sums it up, ladies and gentlemen. Who knew I was such a romantic?

Switching gears altogether, and speaking of Dawn, you guys really need to read her blog. If you don't think it's funny, you probably need a sense of humor transplant. Of course, to hear her actually tell her stories is preferable, because swearing with a Kentucky accent is HI-larious.

2 comments:

Susanna said...

Maddus, I'm so proud. You will thank me for this intervention one day. :) I hope you cancelled his invitation to the wedding, too.

Anonymous said...

Suse... Yours and Dawn's blogs are probably some of the funniest things I've ever read... like so funny I just had a little bit of pee escape. I must go shower. Gabe