Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Kids Say the Darndest Things...

And the things they draw are even darndest-er. The most darndest of all. (Hey, cut me some slack, I'm trying to churn out a thesis chapter here. The words don't always come easily. Everyone's a critic.) Anyway, this actually segues nicely into the point of this whole post (all will be illuminated in moments). My nephew Matthew is studying adjectives in his first grade class, specifically the comparative and superlative forms (you know, "small, smaller, smallest," "darndest, darndester, darndestest..."). So the assignment was to draw a picture that illustrated the different forms of an adjective. Here is Matthew's drawing:
For my money, the kid took the high road. "Crappy, crappier, crappiest" comes immediately to my mind...apparently, the teacher preferred to call the crap "dust." Though that kind of negates the whole "stinky" thing. Not that she should think about that, being a teacher and all.

4 comments:

Jill said...

That is so cool! I love little kids.

I found my wedding dress. Nothing like the one you have pictured...I decided the "girls" didn't need to make an appearance since I, just as you are, am marring a united methodist preacher!

I went simple but elegant. Satin, strapless, tea length (since we are getting married outside by a lake).

Hope you are having fun looking for yours!

Brian said...

Matthew is the coolest.

Susanna said...

Congratulations on finding the dress, Jill! Honestly, it's been the toughest part of this whole process so far, but I think I've got a good idea of what I'm looking for, and I've decided to have it made. I just can't find anything that I really love that is reasonably priced.

Susanna said...

I vote for the baby-seal-clubbing. Because nothing says "Congratulations on your marriage" like a nice dead seal. Maybe you could get Dubya to club the seal in our honor. That would make it extra-special. Though he might think it is too "dangeriffic" or "problematicacized."

And about this "Little Tree" stuff...my mother wasn't as crushed as I thought. She knew all along that it was a novel, and all about the author's former links to the Klan and so forth. My bleeding heart cries: Hooray for Whitey McCracker, allowing his life to be transformed and writing a story sympathetic to those he would have formerly oppressed! Reminds me of a certain author of a popular song. Maybe you've heard of it. I think it's called "Amazing Grace."

(We love y'all, too, Jim! I'll have to return the thanks to you both for letting us be a part of your lives, too. I'm definitely getting the best end of the whole deal, and reaping all of the benefits! I'm all about "marrying up," as they say.)