Monday, August 20, 2007

Unfortunate.

Fortune cookies. The very idea is somewhat kooky. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the "complimentary" (yeah, right) fortune cookies at Pei Wei; I enjoy them a great deal. In fact, I often enjoy two or three of them (c'mon, they're FREE). But here's the thing: fortune cookies are, many times, nothing of the sort. Not only are they not my idea of a cookie in the first place (they look kind of like little butts), they often contain fortunes that are - can you see this coming? - NOT FORTUNES.

"Try to use your efforts for rejuvenation."

"Being an able man. There are always."

"Sometimes traveling to a new place leads to great transformation."

"The man to eat the last lettuce wrap is the least hungry."

These are not fortunes. Cookies containing these bits of paper are completely mislabeled. Advice Cookies they may be. The occasional Nonsense Cookie. Opinion Cookies, perhaps. Aphorism Cookies, even. If we're splitting hairs, though, I think we ought to take the whole "cookie" label away, too. Where's the butter and sugar? And the chocolate chips? Man, if they'd slap one of those little pieces of paper inside an E.L. Fudge, we may not even be having this conversation.


1 comment:

Josh Cashion said...

so, what if the words "in bed" were inserted at the end of each phrase? would it be a true fortune cookie then? i think that makes the lettuce-eating one even more "fortunate".