There was a time a few months back when I said I wouldn't post much about poetry, but I just gotta. Actually, I really just get a kick out of clicking on the 'Publish' button...because, in my world, this means that I'm published. And no, my world is not a sad one; why are you asking? Anyway, here's a poem I just wrote. Feel free to add a caption to it. Just be nice because I'm fragile. Ha. (Oh and P.S. The formatting doesn't come out quite right -- the fourth and seventh sections are supposed to be flush with the right margin... but if I can deal with it, you certainly can.)
Seeing Out Loud
Inexplicable amber splendor
ascending out of darkened chasm
washing ages of stone in unspoiled ancient fire.
Morning creeps by me (in the moment
when silence becomes singing),
a soft yellow cat brushing his bright tail against red rocks,
and the great yawning earth
blinks the stars from her skies
as the smells of clay and pine rise darkly from the ground.
I hear in the dawn the song of Your mercy,
a quiet, vermillion cry sliding across pale water,
while all around me this miracle surges,
and slender ivory columns erupt in golden flames.
And this path winding among copper cliffs
ends in its own beginning,
bringing us back to where we started,
only more beautiful.
Just as the day rises it also falls,
an October night slips in through the trees;
and the yellow cat goes splendidly to bed
as the delicate moonlight tumbles out of sounds of indigo.
The earth, still yawning, gives over to a hyacinth tenderness
(in the moment when singing becomes silence).
And the hope that is morning and evening
And the wonder that is the long horizon between them both
Because I am small, I am given more than what I am.
To the tree woven hillside
(heart exploding in moments of hushed wonder)
my eyes are lifted up.
Thursday, October 13, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment