Monday, November 07, 2005

The Lady(bug) Killer

As far as bugs go, ladybugs are pretty dang pleasant. I'm rather fond of them, actually, especially when they are in their natural freakin' habitat! When they are overtaking my living room, however, they cease to be pleasant. Now, they seem to me more like a plague of locusts, swarming about and flying repeatedly into the overhead light, which results in an annoying and repetitive clicking sound. They're resilient little jerks, these ladybugs. One might even go so far to say that "ladybug" is a misnomer...these are more like Navy SEAL bugs, penetrating a seemingly impenetrable fortress (the large window in my living room - I cannot figure out how they are getting in), and absolutely refusing to die.

OK, ok, Judgy McJudgersons. I hear you. And I'd rather not kill them, if you really want to know. I'm the type of person that kindly escorts spiders outside -- killing ladybugs seems rather criminal to me, too. Plus, my friend Dawn tells me that killing ladybugs is bad luck. Well, consider me officially screwed, because I simply can't escort a bajillion ladybugs out of my house. They're just going to have to get out on their own, or get sucked into the belly of my vacuum cleaner. Personally, I think this is precisely why they designed those long, skinny, hose-like attachments for vacuums. For the killing.

No comments: