Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Classes begin TODAY!

And I cannot tell you how nervous I am. I met some girls from the program last night, and let me just say that I was the only idiot in the group who spoke only one language. Most of them spoke three. Hooray for America, right? Before any of you start calling me a communist, I'm not 'badmouthing' America in general. In fact, I rather miss America. But this particular aspect of American education bothers me, and it seems like something that could be changed so easily. According to Laura, one of the girls I met, Brazilian children have to know some English before even beginning school, and they learn more and more throughout the years. She is more fluent and well-spoken than many Americans I know. Why do we not have the same kind of language instruction in the United States? I can assure you, it is much more difficult to learn a new language in your mid-20's than it is when you are forming language skills in kindergarten and elementary schools. Americans should be bilingual, if not trilingual, by the time they graduate from college. I cannot believe that this is too much to expect. Better communication between people can lead to improved worldwide relationships, yet we seem too arrogant to take the steps many other countries take when it comes to that communication. To be a 'world superpower' we should be able to freely communicate with others aroudn the world, and NOT because they 'all speak English.' If the countries in which they live feel that it is necessary for their citizens to speak English, I just wish America would feel that it is necessary for her citizens to learn as much about those with who we have relationships as possible. That would be a better demonstration of power, in my opinion, than -- oh, let's just say hypothetically -- hauling out a bunch of weapons and declaring war.

*Stepping down from soapbox*

I had delicious authentic German food for dinner last night. Schnitzel, pommes frites, salat, und Löwenbräu. Basically, it was a piece of breaded and fried pork, french fries better than any I have ever tasted, salad (with cucumbers, of course....bleeecch!), and a nice big mug of beer. They say it is 'eiskaltes Bier,' but none of the drinks - water, coca-cola light (diet coke), juice, beer - are really ice cold. The meal was wonderful and the waiter was very nice and patient with this dumm Amerikaner; I personally don't see how the Germans can eat this way and not get enormously fat. The main food groups seem to be chocolate, bread, beer, pork, and beef. It is strange to observe the differences in body types over here. There are many normal sized and many slender\skinny people, but very few seem to be physically fit - no sculpted arms or six-pack abs (lots of bare midriffs, though). It isn't a very health-conscious city, I suppose. Most people smoke, on the streets, in the restaurants and cafes, and they have very rich foods. However, they also do a great deal of walking. But I can't imagine seeing someone out for a jog in the afternoon. I'll have to be on the lookout for that.

Well, it is raining outside and has been since yesterday afternoon. The temperature has dropped by about 10 degrees, so I am very grateful for my jacket today. Hopefully, the weather will clear up by tomorrow so I can gague how far the walk from my house to the Göethe Institute is. It is only about 5 or 6 minutes by tram, but I'd like to walk if the weather is nice.

No comments: