I'm sitting here at the Mediothek at the Goethe Institute doing a little more giggling at myself and wondering exactly what I have gotten myself into. Classes officially begin tomorrow, so I have another afternoon to wander around the city and remind myself how bad my German language skills actually are. Scary.
So, I'm in my little hotel room last night, enjoying my complimentary beverage (yum - the Germans really do know beer), when I decide to check out my 'view.' I was on the fourth floor, and my Fenster (that's 'window' in German) overlooked what could be called, by a deranged person who doesn't know what a courtyard is, a courtyard. Across the way was a building not unlike the one I was staying in, so that I could basically look into the rooms across the 'courtyard.' I don't know if these were offices, hotel rooms, or apartments, because I didn't want to actually look into these other peoples' rooms (a la Jimmy Stewart in 'Rear Window'), but something in the window directly across from mine caught my eye. There, suspended from some sort of pulley system, was what looked like some kind of camera, pointed in the general direction of my window! I wish I could post the pictures here so that you could see exactly what I'm talking about, but that will have to wait until I return to the states. Oh yes, I took a picture of the camera...it may come in handy when I wage an international lawsuit against the 'Easy Palace' Station Hotel. Ha. (Not really, it was a great place to stay and quite inexpensive. I would recommend it to all you single travelers in Munich. Since there are so many of you).
This morning, I had breakfast (Frühstuck, I think it is called) in a little coffee shop across from the Voyeur's Vacation Spot (the hotel), and the waiter struck up a conversation with me, after giving me a free icekaffe, for whatever reason. He was French, but spoke very good English (and German, of course), and, when he asked where I was from and I replied 'Alabama,' he promptly launched into the chorus of 'Sweet Home Alabama.' So I guess they rock out to Skynyrd over here. Who knew? Anyway, I think I might get more free stuff if I go back tomorrow morning, and I'm all about that.
Well, I have to wrap things up here and find out how to get to where I'll be living for the next 24 days. It is a student hostel somewhere around here, and I think I have to take a tram. One thing I can say about Munchen (Munich) for sure is that they have bang up public transportation - trams, trains, buses, subways - all on efficient timetables and pretty user-friendly. So, off I go again. Happy Fourth of July, everyone! Have some BBQ, fried chicken, hamburgers, potato salad, deviled eggs, apple pie, and all those other yummy foods for me, and enjoy some fireworks, too. Don't worry -- I'll take care of the beer.
Monday, July 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment