This time I am serious. I saw the naked people in the English Gardens. On Saturday, Ezgi, Laura, and I walked around the city in the morning and went to the English Gardens in the afternoon. There is a stream there that is, by the way, the temperature of ice water, and people wade their happy little (although most are not so little) naked behinds right into that water. Then, they sprawl out on the grass and let the sun dry them off. As you can imagine, this was quite funny to me, and I giggled like a 4 year old (of course). The English Gardens are really beautiful; I think it is actually the largest park in the world. There is a beer garden next to the Chinese Turm (a big pagoda tower thingy) and the girls and I sat down to have an enormous glass of Helles (which is the delicious lager they sell around here). A traditional German band was playing in the Chinese Turm and we basically stayed there all day. The tables are set up all around the pagoda, and it is typical for people to sit down at your table if there is a spot open. Needless to say, we met many interesting people and ended up meeting some Americans near the end of the afternoon. We all ended up going out to dinner together and then to a disko, which was fun.
On Sunday, most everything is closed around here, so I slept late and then did some homework. Laura, Ezgi, and I went out for sushi (which was very good) and then Laura and I went to Murphy's Irish Pub to check out the karaoke. It was entertaining, but by this time, I realized that I was coming down with a bit of a cold, so being around the smoky bar was not the best option for me. I woke up yesterday feeling like I had the black lung, and I have been trying to shake off this sickness ever since. Believe me, the black lung is not a fun disease to have. I can officially use the word HATE about cigarettes, and, just so you know, there are no 'smoke-free' areas in Munich. Restaurants, pubs, cafes, parks...you can probably smoke in church here for all I know. In any case, it is really doing a number on me and the half of my lung that is working.
We are about to go on a walking tour of Residenz which, as far as I know, was the home of some of the Bavarian königs (kings) and is now some kind of museum. I hope people don't smoke in there.
Tuesday, July 12, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I have a feeling it is definitely first hand experience. Never fear, Maddus. I didn't even think of trying to take pictures. The images were already seared into my retina for all time.
Post a Comment