Saturday, July 09, 2005

Hurricane Dennis (the Menace)

I have been checking the weather on CNN.com, but I am finding that it only makes me worry. Of course, worrying about a hurricane is much like worrying about anything else...it doesn't do anyone any good. I am praying for everyone back home (and for all those who are in the path of the storm; I know it hit Cuba very hard) and hoping that you are all safe and sound. Strangely enough, today is a beautiful day here, one of the only mornings that we haven't had rain. I am going to take advantage of the day and spend most of it outside. Tomorrow night, I think we may venture out to a pub that hosts karaoke on Sundays...which should be very interesting, to say the least.

Today, there aren't many people here in the Mediothek, but there is one older man sitting across from me who is doing his homework and he is reading everything outloud in a kind of pseudo-whisper. As he looks up a word in his translation dictionary, he says it over and over and over until he finds it ('beleibt, beleibt....beeeeleibt, ok, ok...') and then he says 'AH!' when he realizes the definition. People are so funny. Especially me, but you all knew that.

No comments: