Thursday, July 07, 2005

Today in Europe

I cannot find words to express my feelings about the tragedy in London today. It seems both very near and very far away. My classmates and I watched the events unfold on a TV here at the Institute. It is overwhelming to be reminded yet again that, on a normal day in a normal situation, life can be snuffed out in an instant. The people on the Underground and the bus were simply carrying out a part of their everyday existences, just as those victims of the Madrid bombing in March 2004 and, of course, those who were on the planes and in the buildings that fell on September 11th 2001. My experience on the tram this morning was fun and carefree, and I actually wanted to write about it today, but I am so saddened and terrified by the bombings that my tram ride home will undoubtedly have a much different feel. I do not wish to give those who spread terror any victory over me, and I will not fear those things which are a part of my daily life, but a dark shadow has reemerged today, and it will color the way we all see the world, whether we want it to or not.

To be at a place like the Göethe Institute while these events unfold is, however, truly heartening. This insanity - these people with no regard for human life - cannot win as long as there are people in the world willing to open their minds to new people, new cultures, and new ideas. To sit in a room with funny, intelligent, kind, open-minded people from America, Poland, Italy, Switzerland, Uganda, Serbia, Spain, Germany, and a host of other places is truly enlightening and uplifting. The world is a scary place sometimes, but it can't be so scary as long as people and places like this exist.

May we all come together in love, charity, and peace, and may our prayers for those who are suffering be heard and answered.

No comments: