Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Update on the Black Lung (and other things)

I must say that I love health care around here. This is a totally unfounded statement, since I haven't even seen a doctor's office much less been inside one, but I have to say that the pharmacies are so efficient and I didn't need a prescription for these incredible wonder-drugs that have miraculously allowed me to regain 50% of my lung function. No, really -- I walked into a pharmacy, told the guy behind the counter that I felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest and that I couldn't breathe through my nose, and in a matter of 2 minutes he gave me dissovable, effervescent (sp?) prescription-strength asprin, some kind of drops for my throat (which taste like rotten licorice), a pack of tissues, and several sympathetic looks. He said that the asprin would make me feel better almost immediately. I personally thought he was full of crap, but I have since apologized to him (in my mind) because - I'll be darned - he was right! Now, I believe I have full use of one of my lungs, and hope to feel the other coming back to life very soon. If only there was a place I could go for some untainted oxygen...

I am glad to hear that Mobile escaped the bulk of Dennis's force, though saddend to know that this only means that there are other people suffering from it. The people hit so hard by Ivan seem to have gotten another whack, and I can only pray that Emily will spare us all any further damage. It is so difficult to be here tracking a hurricane heading straight for Alabama. Everyone, please be careful and stay safe!

I went to the Alte Pinakothek yesterday afternoon; it is an amazing gallery with over 800 painting, including some amazing works by Rembrandt, Raphael, da Vinci, Rubens, Van Dyck...so many amazing works that each room took my breath (what breath I have, that is) away. The gallery houses mostly 14th to 18th century European paintings, and is apparently one of the world's most famous. I hope to go to both the Neue Pinakothek (18th to 19th century European art) and the Pinakothek Moderne (20th century...the really awesome and wierd stuff). I think there will be time.

Having said that...did you know that I am going to Prague this weekend?! How thrilling is that? I know, I know, you can hardly contain your excitement. But you must try. I can't tell you how many people have told me that Prague is the most beautiful city in the world. We will be there for two nights, Friday and Saturday, and will have tours all day Saturday and one tour on Sunday. Obviously, I will be in an un-blogable area, so I will probably just write again tomorrow and then fill you in on the Prague journey on Monday.

Does life really get any better? :-)

No comments: