Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Long Time, No Blog...

There has been a veritable whirlwind of activity over here the past few days. On Friday, we had a Goethe-Institute Summer Party, or 'Sömmerfest,' with traditional Bavarian food, beer, wine, and other drinkables. It was a lot of fun, and almost everyone from my class was there, so we ate together and practiced our langauge skills. Ha.

On Saturday, we left early early for Salzburg, and Laura (NY), Jack, and I spent all day there. We got back to Munich around midnight, so it was a long day, but totally worth it. We even went on 'The Sound of Music' Tour and saw all of the places in Salzburg used in the film. We also saw Mozart's apartment and several other places of interest. To cap it off, we took a horse-drawn carriage ride through town (again) and ate dinner at (brace yourselves) McDonald's.

On Sunday, it was another early morning as Laura (NY), Janine (also from class), and I went to Neuschwanstein. I don't have much to say about that trip in particular...it was very crowded. My feelings toward Neuschwanstein as a tourist attraction remain ambivalent at best.

Yesterday was a bit of R and R for me...I walked around the gardens of Schloss Nymphenburg and came to class and then went out to eat with my teacher and classmates. We had a lot of fun; I am really going to miss everyone so much. For about 24 hours, I was ready to commit to another 3 weeks of class here, but I realized that I have things that I need to do back in the states. Plus, I miss home! I can't wait until I don't have to ask for water 'ohne gas' (without carbonation). Plus, I have a feeling that once I breathe in some hot Alabama air, the Munich Mucous might be a thing of the past. I can hope, can't I?

This morning, I went to Dachau. I don't really have the capability to talk about it, so I'll just leave it at that.

Well, I'm off to my second to last class at GI. *sniffle* I'll try to write again before I leave for Vienna tomorrow night! Tschüss!

No comments: